Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Adios Malone
Anonymouse

Date:
Adios Malone
Closed


THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Marketing and Public Relations
NEWS RELEASE


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Shelia White

(228) 324-4573

Christopher Mapp

(601) 266-4497



SOUTHERN MISS GULF COAST CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER TO RETURN FULL TIME TO ECONOMIC AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT



LONG BEACH, Miss. – After serving as chief operating officer for The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast campus for the last year and a half, Dr. Ken Malone is leaving that position to focus on his duties as chair of the Department of Economic and Workforce Development.

“Dr. Malone’s leadership and business acumen have been instrumental in creating operational efficiencies and improvements across our Gulf Coast teaching sites,” Dr. Jay Grimes, Southern Miss provost said. “His business experience has helped prepare us to more efficiently serve the people of South Mississippi as our campus facilities improve and our enrollment continues to grow.

“We appreciate that he assumed additional responsibility serving both as chair of our growing Department of Economic and Workforce Development and as chief operating officer for the Coast – both key priorities for Southern Miss. He has done a great job of positioning and growing the Coast campuses by emphasizing a customer service and satisfaction model. However, economic development opportunities on the horizon for Southern Miss now call for his full attention, expertise and energy in that arena.”

Malone said he is pleased with the advancements made on the Coast campus, such as continued growth in enrollment and upgrades in service, technology and physical structures. This year, fall enrollment increased by 26 percent from the previous year, topping more than 2,500 students in 2005.

“After accomplishing the restructuring goals that were established for the Gulf Coast campus and meeting the growth objectives, I now look forward to commercializing university technology,” Malone said.

His academic duties in economic development include supervising the master’s degrees in workforce training and economic development. Beyond academics, he has been instrumental in commercializing University technology, the Research Park, forming ventures with private sector companies and providing economic development services to the state of Mississippi and local communities through The Center for Community and Economic Development.

Malone received his doctorate in polymer science from Southern Miss in 1991 after earning a Bachelor of Science in chemistry and biochemistry from the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Fla., in 1986. Malone returned to Southern Miss in November 2002 from Atofina Chemicals Inc., where he was director of planning and finance.

Grimes said the university will fill the position with an interim associate provost while a formal search to replace the chief operating officer with a permanent associate provost is conducted.

For more information, contact Shelia White at (228) 324-4573 or Christopher Mapp at (601) 266-4497.

###



__________________
Out of the COOp

Date:
Closed

No one picked up on my nom?

__________________
Third Witch

Date:
Closed

What about his duties as head of CE? (Such as it is.)
So, now, what exactly is he doing? Is he easing his way out the door? Or is he positioning to take over the casino stuff and all those delicious tution dollars obtained thereby?

__________________
BSB

Date:
Closed

CoB Dean?



__________________
Barnyard Rooster

Date:
Closed

Out of the COOp wrote:


No one picked up on my nom?

I did. I love it, babe


__________________
Prime Amore`

Date:
Closed

So Malone returned to his first love?

__________________
Honest question

Date:
Closed

An obvious question remains:  how can an assistant professor serve as a departmental chair?  By design, a chair's responsibilities include helping to guide decisions regarding tenure and promotion.  So, it just seem a violation of common sense that an untenured prof would be involved in tenure and other evaluation issues.  At my university, departmental tenure votes are by tenured faculty only. 


Again, just another example of how "unacademic" my alma mater has become...



__________________
CE Scoop

Date:
Closed

Office of NonCredit Programs and Conferences has a coordinator who reports to Office of Provost.  Malone is only in Econ Dev

__________________
Clarification

Date:
Closed

CE Scoop wrote:


Office of NonCredit Programs and Conferences has a coordinator who reports to Office of Provost.  Malone is only in Econ Dev


Ken Malone
Chair & Assistant Professor
Department of Economic and Workforce Development


http://www.usm.edu/ecodev/pages/faculty.htm



__________________
Googler

Date:
Closed

Honest question wrote:


An obvious question remains:  how can an assistant professor serve as a departmental chair?  By design, a chair's responsibilities include helping to guide decisions regarding tenure and promotion.  So, it just seem a violation of common sense that an untenured prof would be involved in tenure and other evaluation issues.  At my university, departmental tenure votes are by tenured faculty only.  Again, just another example of how "unacademic" my alma mater has become...


Another obvious question remains: How can Ken Malone serve as ED department chair when he does not possess academic credentials in that area?



__________________
Primo Amore`

Date:
Closed

Check the appointment papers (which are public record) and you will find Malone is not even a faculty member.

__________________
MA

Date:
Closed

he is presumably also untenured?

__________________
Little old lady

Date:
Closed

Wouldn't Mark Miller, logically, be the chair? He was dean of CICE after TH left. Why would KM outrank him?

Also, I recently ran into a CE staff person who TOLD me they report to KM (well, did as of a week or two ago.)

__________________
Googler

Date:
Closed

MA wrote:


he is presumably also untenured?

He does not possess the academic credentials to be in a tenure-track position in economic development. His degrees are in chemistry and polymer science.

__________________
Invictus

Date:
Closed


Googler wrote:

MA wrote:
he is presumably also untenured?
He does not possess the academic credentials to be in a tenure-track position in economic development. His degrees are in chemistry and polymer science.




Of course, USM has a unique, one-of-a-kind, never-sighted-in-these-parts-before Economic Developmentation Program. And SACS makes special allowances for programs that are so off-the-wall that qualified faculty can't be found. I'm sure Malone's extensive private sector experience constitutes all the credentials he thinks he needs. I've been convinced since the git-go that a great deal of the brouhaha about the ED program being "the only one of its kind around" has been to establish a rationale for "special exceptions" in faculty credentials.

If you believe that, I can get you a sweetheart deal on some waterfront property.



__________________
Invictus

Date:
Closed


Googler wrote:

MA wrote:
he is presumably also untenured?
He does not possess the academic credentials to be in a tenure-track position in economic development. His degrees are in chemistry and polymer science.




I've said it before & I'll say it again: HIS PhD IS FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI, which ought to summarily disqualify him from holding a full-time faculty appointment. What is good for the goose is good for the freakin' gander. Period.

__________________
Credential King

Date:
Closed

A number of well-respected faculty have degrees from USM.  Exceptions are made based on other credentials or shortages (nursing).  It isn't common, but it also isn't UNCOMMON.



__________________
A Gaggle

Date:
Closed

Invictus wrote:


Googler wrote: MA wrote: he is presumably also untenured? He does not possess the academic credentials to be in a tenure-track position in economic development. His degrees are in chemistry and polymer science. I've said it before & I'll say it again: HIS PhD IS FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI, which ought to summarily disqualify him from holding a full-time faculty appointment. What is good for the goose is good for the freakin' gander. Period.

While you're on a roll, remember that several of the faculty members in Kenbot's department have their PhDs from the University of Southern Mississippi. 

__________________
nowhere man

Date:
Closed

While you're on a roll, remember that several of the faculty members in Kenbot's department have their PhDs from the University of Southern Mississippi. 

This is a very loose use of the term "faculty."  Faculty generally denotes someone that is capable of teaching.  I would pay good money to see the likes of Malone or Butler face a class full of real students.  These people are more like persons with pork grants drawing a salary.  That's ok, just don't call them "faculty".  I hope this connotation brings on all the trouble it deserves.

__________________
Emma's Adjunct Sec.

Date:
Closed

Invictus,


The Divine Ms. E. wanted to let you know that she is attending the Dylan/Willie Nelson concert tonight. She is happy that Kenbot isn't attending - he might not do well with the local time.


 



__________________
Austin Eagle

Date:
Closed

Anonymouse wrote:


Grimes said the university will fill the position with an interim associate provost while a formal search to replace the chief operating officer with a permanent associate provost is conducted. For more information, contact Shelia White at (228) 324-4573 or Christopher Mapp at (601) 266-4497. ###

Hey, I have absolutely no experience or credentials that would qualify me for the associate provost slot.  Using the Thamesian approach to hiring, doesn't that make me a prime candidate?  I could start next Monday.  Does anyone know where I should send my vita?  Is a beach house part of the deal? What about a plane, expense account,  club memberships...?

__________________
Historius Repetitius

Date:
Closed

"Another obvious question remains: How can Ken Malone serve as ED department chair when he does not possess academic credentials in that area?"


Remember, anyone, Angeline Da- vor- ak, "tenured associate professor at the University of Kentucky?" To this crew, "academic credentials" is a nonsense category.

That the "college board" takes no interest in these kinds of abuses is as clear evidence as you need that the state of Mississississippi's higher education system should be chopped off the continent and allowed to disappear into the Bermuda Triangle.

__________________
Spartan

Date:
Closed

Historius Repetitius wrote:


Remember, anyone, Angeline Da- vor- ak, "tenured associate professor at the University of Kentucky?"

Don't forget that in a published interview for the Thomas Cooley School of Law, Angie claimed to be a "professor at Michigan State" during her law school days. 

__________________
Resume Checker

Date:
Closed


Spartan wrote:





Historius Repetitius wrote: Remember, anyone, Angeline Da- vor- ak, "tenured associate professor at the University of Kentucky?"


 Don't forget that in a published interview for the Thomas Cooley School of Law, Angie claimed to be a "professor at Michigan State" during her law school days. 




Didn't Angie hold an endowed professorship in astro-physics at Michigan State prior to her move to Ashland Community College and Technical Institute? I forget where her clerkship at the US Supreme Court fits into the timeline.  All of this occurred well before she became an expert in economic development, of course.

__________________
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Date:
Closed

Anonymouse wrote:


THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI Marketing and Public Relations NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Shelia White (228) 324-4573 Christopher Mapp (601) 266-4497

Tell me why applicants for an associate provost position are to contact Christopher Mapp? Isn't he in PR?

__________________
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Date:
Closed

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall wrote:


Anonymouse wrote: THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI Marketing and Public Relations NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Shelia White (228) 324-4573 Christopher Mapp (601) 266-4497 Tell me why applicants for an associate provost position are to contact Christopher Mapp? Isn't he in PR?

The contacts are listed at the top of the announcement, and again at the bottom of the advertisement....'For more information, contact Shelia White at (228) 324-4573 or Christopher Mapp at (601) 266-4497.'



__________________
Read a bit more carefully

Date:
Closed

Its a press release. If you have any questions about the press release--maybe you're a reporter--call White or Mapp. If you want to be the next associate provost at the Gulf Park campus,tough luck, because SFT will appoint one of his lackeys.

__________________
truth4usm/AH

Date:
Closed

Ding, dong, Kenbot is almost gone!



I'm sure the folks on the Coast are breathing a collective sigh of relief!

Truth

PS: I won't even comment on the ridiculousness of Kenbot posing as chair of a faux dept...that one speaks for itself.

__________________
MLK Echo

Date:
Closed

truth4usm/AH wrote:


Ding, dong, Kenbot is almost gone! I'm sure the folks on the Coast are breathing a collective sigh of relief! Truth PS: I won't even comment on the ridiculousness of Kenbot posing as chair of a faux dept...that one speaks for itself.


"Free at last! free at last!  Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"



__________________
Robert Campbell

Date:
Closed

Does Ken Malone's departure from the "COO" position mean that his salary gets reduced by $49,500?


Robert Campbell



__________________
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard